A Travellerspoint blog

The chopper arrived!

Sunday 15th July


The Canadian girls guide woke us shouting and squealing for them to get ready as their helicopter was coming. The clouds had lifted and we could see through the mountain edges for the first time in days. Through the valley whirring could be heard and we could just make out the black dot getting nearer. The chopper swooped and swerved through the gaps like a bumble bee and rose over the mountain and landed! The girls piled in along with their sneaky fat guide and the bee lifted, twisted and meandered into the distance. Excitedly we packed up at super speed rolling the mattresses, folding the blankets we automatically fitted into a team all working together! The day was the clearest it had been since the trek but the weather didn't stay on our side. As the morning continued so did the cloud, the escape path closed in and mist surrounded us. People were taking it in turns to be positive as the atmosphere changed as we saw another night in the potato shed ahead. Near lunchtime the clouds parted again and we were joined by another 2 Trekkers and 3 guides, they waited an hour maximum, the whirring came again and a helicopter swooped them away which was so irritating! The drop below the helipad had a lining of cloud peeping out, within 5-6minutes the cloud had lifted and the whole valley was in a white out like the previous day. Disappointment raced among us as that was our window of hope to leave Lukla, we had listened to whirring all morning and ours hadn't come. Eventually in the distance a whirring could be heard, we couldn't see much but it was a possible silver lining. The bee like structure weaved around and under the cloud and landed in front of us. The previous customers were surrounded, we were opening doors for them, piling our luggage ready before jumping in and strapping up. The flight was amazing as the chopped swayed through the valley, it felt like it was hanging on the air. We avoided the clouds and admired the contours of the land from the rice fields, a gigantic gold Buddah came into eye line lighting up the landscape.   Exhaustion and relief kicked in during the flight but by early afternoon we were back in Kathmandu. Hotel Encounter was our next stay with Sven and Ines and our meeting time was 8pm - our plan for Sam's Bar would finally happen. Still no one from home knew our secret, apart from our trekking buddies. Everyone was so pleased to see each other, that we'd all escaped! Celebration drinks were flowing with Chris and Alex giving a presentation to us of Milka chocolate - you always need the sugar, plastic straw rings and shots. The only club in town that was open ended up being our next stop where I was allowed behind the bar into the DJ booth, dancing and drinking shots finally relaxed and back on track with our trip. Riding a rickshaw in the monsoon over pot holed filled roads is far more difficult than it looks, Tommy and I helped the man out by riding it home whilst he sat in the back and he wanted a tip!

Posted by RoltlissTravels 10:57 Archived in Nepal

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint