A Travellerspoint blog

Seven Highest Peaks.

Sunday 8th July


We planned to leave at 3 am the next morning, that would give us 2 1/2 hours to reach the summit and enjoy one of the worlds most incredible sights, sunrise over Everest.  We all awoke around 2:30 am, got our gear on and proceeded in pitch darkness up the side of the mountain, some had head tourches on, which made it slightly easier.  The climb up the west face was ardeous, the ascent was on a 45-50 degree angle and was a killer.  Our group climbed in line, up the tiny path, one behind the other. There had been snow fall, which made the path more dangerous, and the temperature was well below freezing. As we climbed, we could see the shinning planets of  Venus and Jupiter sparkling in the night sky by the moons reflections, right above the Everest summit.  A sight to behold, it was nothing like I had ever seen before, like they had come out to shine as a greeting to us.  We were blessed in the knowledge that it would be a clear day, there wasnt a cloud in the sky, we knew then that today would be special.

The further up we climbed, the brighter it became, until we finally arrived at our destination, a sheer rock face 27,000 ft up, on 3 sides vertical drops into valleys 3000ft down, the snow had made the rocks hard to balance on, but we had come to far to think too much about the dangers that presented themselves.  At 5:25am, the sun broke the silent blackness of the valley below as it glistened into the valley, instantly heating everything and everyone up. It broke the edge of Everest like nothing we had ever seen before and gave us a real sense of achievement, then the whole valley, with seven of the world's highest peaks out on show lit up like a display from the gods.  There were 10 of us there that day, and it felt like we were the only people on earth. A truly incredible feeling, looking across at Everest I tried to see the Hilary step, and then following down the west summit to south Col, where so many people had triumphed in glory, but also died in vein trying to pass each of the stations. 

On the top of this summit, I had planned to use this moment to propose to my beautiful girlfriend, but for reasons that the gods had decided, this was not to be the occasion, and I would have to wait for another few days to fulfil what had been planned in my head nearly 8 months previous. 

After standing in awe with my guide, we headed down the mountain, and back to our teahouse to discuss and celebrate what we had experienced.  After an excrushating 2 hr decent, we finally arrived back.  There was a somber mood evident, and people planned the trek back to Lukla.  It had taken us 7 days to get to this point, and we knew we could make it back in 2-3 days walking around 6-8 hrs a day.  I knew that I still had one more feed to perform, the most important of my life, and due to changes on the mountain I now had to  built another plan further down the mountain. 

Posted by RoltlissTravels 02:47 Archived in Nepal

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint